[Kde-bindings] Building Ruby 1.9 on Linux x86_64

Davor Ocelic docelic at spinlocksolutions.com
Thu Dec 18 17:10:15 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 05:05:51PM -0500, Davor Ocelic wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 06:05:34PM +0000, Richard Dale wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 December 2008 01:02:36 you wrote:
> > > Hi,  I have downloaded the current Ruby 1.9 and tried to build it on my
> > > Opensuse 11.0 with kde4.2beta the build fails, it does make miniruby I'll
> > > startup my dev box and get the make stdout, but is their any known issues
> > > with building ruby 1.9 that you know of? or is their someone else I should
> > > contact about building ruby on x86_64 linux ? I have built a few things on
> > > this system, including some kde4.2 code from trunk all ok.
> > Yes  Davor Ocelic has some patches for Ruby 1.9 support in qtruby and we are
> > in the process of adding them to the trunk. He also has complete patches for
> > qtruby 1.4.10 on rubyforge. I'll cc this mail to the kde-bindings at kde.org
> > mailing list where we've been discussing the changes.
>
> Yes, we've got it working.
>
> When I get a chance (a day or two), I'll post a link to a patch that
> applies cleanly to the CVS tree and works correctly with ruby 1.9.

Oi folks,

Attached is a patch that applies to current SVN HEAD (rev. 898663, Dec 18, 2008)
and enables you to build qtruby on Ruby 1.9.

Note that the patch also improves CMakeLists.txt.qtruby a bit, by making
the previous instructions more copy-paste friendly.

To build for Ruby 1.9, follow build instructions in CMakeLists.txt.qtruby. Just
keep in mind that the location of header files changed a little from 1.8
to 1.9, so simple tweak will be needed as follows:

1) Find your ruby 1.9's config.h. Example:
  /usr/local/ruby191p2/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux/ruby/config.h

2) Symlink the file to ruby/config.h in the include path. Example:
  ln -sf /usr/local/ruby191p2/include/ruby-1.9.1/x86_64-linux/ruby/config.h \
	  /usr/local/ruby191p2/include/ruby-1.9.1/ruby/config.h

3) When running cmake, change -DRUBY_INCLUDE_PATH to suit 1.9 include
path instead of 1.8. Example:
  cmake .....                                                 \
	-DRUBY_INCLUDE_PATH=/usr/local/ruby191p2/include/ruby-1.9.1 \

> From there, either I'll get a chance to adjust the patch
> for 1.8/1.9 compatibility so it can be committed to SVN, or someone else more
> familiar with the thing will be able to do it in 30 mins after seeing
> the patch.

The patch is not ready for commit to SVN as it builds for 1.9
unconditionally and breaks 1.8.

So as said, if someone else feels comfortable with making the attached
short patch working on both 1.8 and 1.9, please preempt me on the task.

Thanks Jan Dvorak (Mr Napalm) for providing initial qtruby-ruby 1.9
patches.

Regards,
-doc