[Kde-bindings] Questions About the New Schedule

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Mon Oct 1 21:44:31 UTC 2007

Hello all,

Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Monday 01 October 2007 10:37:06 Andreas Pakulat wrote:
>>> Thats not enough. somebody has at least to be able to confirm that the
>>> bindings *compile*. right now, kdebindings does not compile, and after I
>>> spent an hour or so looking, I'm sure that it can not compile for anyone
>>> at all, given the fundamental bugs in the build system.
>>>
>>> it is my understanding that Richard uses a completely different build
>>> system to maintain the bindings, at least thats what he used to do in
>>> KDE3 times. There has to be at least somebody who maintains the official
>>> build system, and that person has to be != me.
>> Same thing applies to the python bindings, but those are not buildable
>> with cmake and I don't see why they should be.

> I understand that Simon Edwards is working on making them compile with cmake.
> Simon, can you give us an update about the python bindings? How stable are
> they?

I don't remember telling anyone other than Jim Bublitz that I was
looking at using cmake to build the bindings. But as a matter of fact,
yes, yes I have been working on that for the last few days. 8-) (Am I
that predictable?) Until that is in order, the configure.py script works
ok. configure.py doesn't really handle installing things other than the
binding themselves (e.g. example code, docs etc). Which is why I hope to
be able to switch to cmake sometime as that will make it easier for
other people to build and install it all, and I'll be able to recycle
the cmake code which is already used in KDE.

As far as the bindings themselves are concerned, the kdelibs stuff is in
good shape except for one omission, Phonon. It is tricky module to wrap
and Jim has been working on it, although we might require additions and
fixes to SIP (bindings generator, produced and maintained by Phil
Thompson at Riverbank computing). Jim is still quite confident to still
have Phonon in KDE 4.0. The other modules in kdelibs are definitely
complete enough and stable enough for people to develop on.

Other things like docs, example code, test code, and other things which
you would expect in a SDK, are still being developed and worked on. We
expect to have it in order by 4.0. This might appear to be a lot of
development late in the KDE 4 process, but it is unavoidable. We needed
a relatively stable and workable kdelibs before the real bindings work
could even start. That said, the bindings themselves are very solid. The
tools which we are using and building on, SIP and PyQt, have been in
production for at least 18 months now.

On a technical level, what can I provide in the build system for the
Python bindings which would simply the tarballing stage of release work?
(directory layout? a special build target "make dist"??)

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/