[Kde-bindings] qtruby works!

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Wed Mar 7 15:04:46 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 March 2007, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > Yes, agreed! Count me in as a cmake fan.. What did you do about the name
> > of 'qtruby4.so' on Mac OS X - I needed to call it 'qtruby4.bundle' before
> > it would work on Tiger with the standard installed ruby? I thought we
> > need to install a symlink as 'qtruby4.bundle' pointing to 'qtruby4.so'.
>
> Yep, I just renamed it.  I'm hoping that cmake 2.4.7 does this for us, as
> I'm not sure why it would create it as a bundle but name it as an .so.
Well, '.so' was what mono expected for a dynamically loaded lib, so cmake
isn't really wrong as the MH_BUNDLE resource doesn't have to be given a
specific name. I've just added a line to create the symlink on Mac OS X to
qtruby/rubylib/qtruby/CMakeLists.txt

> >> Dare I try it on windows?  I'm not sure I even know where to begin.
> >
> > Yes, if it builds as easily as Mac OS X that would be really great. I'm
> > certainly keen to try it ASAP, and I think we still have a Windows
> > machine at work here. Then see what's involved in doing a binary gem -
> > I've been meaning to find out how to do that for ages.
>
> I have parallels on my mac with Windows XP, so I can certainly try.  I'm
> just not familiar with build system tools on windows to know what I need to
> install.  I suppose it will be a good thing to learn though.
The main problem is that you need to use 3 different shells mingw, cygwin and
DOS. It seems a complete mess if you're used to unix/linux/mac os etc, but it
isn't too difficult to muddle through. I never got it working with the one
click installer version of ruby, but that is possible according to the posts
on the korundum rubyforge help forum.