[Kde-bindings] KDE/kdebindings

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Tue Jun 5 18:13:17 UTC 2007

On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Arno Rehn wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. Juni 2007 schrieb Richard Dale:
> > On Tuesday 05 June 2007, Caleb Tennis wrote:
> > > sorry to hijack the thread here, but as anyone tested Qyoto on OS X
> > > against the 4.3.0 .dmg download provided by Trolltech?  I'm getting
> > > OS/KERN errors when linking against the QtScript framework during the
> > > make process, but I'm not sure if it's Qyoto related or a bug in the
> > > precompiled QtScript framework.  If I remove QtScript from the
> > > FindQt4.cmake stuff and retry, it build successfully.
> >
> > I haven't tried it with the latest Qt lib on Mac OS X, but I wasn't
> > intending to include the QtScript classes in the smoke library, or link
> > Smoke against it.
>
> Uhm, why? I think it would be nice to be able to control for example a C#
> app with ECMAScript.
> Could be somehow useful, sometimes, couldn't it?
Yes, but doesn't a version of JavaScript run on the CLR - so why do we want to
link against yet another virtual machine? For QtRuby apps, I would have
thought that ruby is just as good a language for scripting as ECMAScript. And
if you can provide DBus interfaces, I'm not sure what advantages 'in-process'
scripting has. I'm not against QtScript, but I think the subject of scripting
bindings applications needs a lot of thought. I think we should avoid
promising to work with QtScript from the start in case it turns out to be a
bad idea when we've thought about it more - best to wait until we have had
more user feedback and real apps written.