[Kde-bindings] Jambi

Richard Dale rdale at foton.es
Fri Sep 1 11:18:45 UTC 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 14:57, Adam Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 29 July 2006 12:33 am, Ashley Winters wrote:
> > Sadly, it doesn't seem like the Trolls were able to come up with a
> > better way to implement virtual function overrides than I did. They
> > just derive from every class like Smoke does [1]. :(
>
> I'm afraid this is the only real way to do it that is supported by more
> than one compiler...
>
> > There's nothing too special about their signal/slot interface, either.
> > It'll be interesting to see what their XML file format actually does
> > for them, and how they manipulate their copy of the full Qt API.
>
> Hmm, where have I heard of using an XML file for describing the API and for
> providing custom code? ;)
Well if you like hand coding herioc amounts of XML I suppose it's a good idea.
It really depends how much of it there is - 20 lines or so per class might be
ok, but 1000 lines would be very hard to maintain I would have thought.

> > Their "technique" seems worth adopting for KDE, once open-sourced, as
> > long as it's not actually written *IN* Java!
>
> I have it on good authority this is written in C++ and makes extensive use
> of Roberto Raggi's C++ parser which is also used for:
>
> 1.  KDevelop's new parser
> 2.  The qt3 to qt4 porting tool
> 3.  Generating the specs for Qt's inclusion in LSB
Yes, I would like to use the KDevelop parser sometime for generating bindings
as a replacement for kalyptus. The other alternative would be to use the xml
dump from gcc, but I personally thing there are more disadvantages than
advantages with doing that.

> > 1. see page 14 of the whitepaper @
> > http://www.trolltech.com/developer/downloads/qt/resolveuid/23a8f998b27c26
> >40 e5d343cbe6e119b0
> >
> > Anyone else going to keep an eye on the Jambi mailing-list?
>
> I probably will.
I've had a look at the list and there is a certain amount of traffic, more
than for the kde-java list, but that wouldn't take much. I still wonder who
is going to do some KDE java bindings - will Trolltech do it, or will someone
else volunteer?