[Kde-bindings] Plans for Python bindings in KDE 4

Simon Edwards simon at simonzone.com
Fri Nov 24 17:37:58 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 15 November 2006 21:12, Simon Edwards wrote:
> Background
> ~~~~~~~~~~
> The Python bindings consist of a couple of parts. The binding tool SIP which
> is used to help generate the binding C++ code, PyQt, Python/Qt bindings
> which
> use SIP. Both are produced by Phil Thompson at Riverbank Computing[1] in the
> UK, and are available under the GPL or via a commercial closed source
license
> which can be bought. This model is similar to Trolltech's of course.
> SIP/PyQt
> has been available and in commercial use since 1998 and support the same
> platforms as Qt itself.

Sebas was asking if there is an agreement with Riverbank like the one between
the FreeQt foundation and Trolltech. i.e. what happens to SIP and PyQt if
Riverbank go out of business. Currently there is no such agreement in place
if Riverbank disappears. We could try organising one if people feel that it
is necessary.

And also just to be clear, there are no plans to keep a copy of SIP or PyQt in
KDE SVN like what has been done during in KDE 3.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon at simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/