[Kde-bindings] Utf-8 bug

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 18 10:24:20 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 17 January 2006 21:20, Han Holl wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 22:29, Richard Dale wrote:
> > Have you tried running it with a -Ku option for utf-8 strings - does it
> > work then?
>
> Funnily enough, with -Ku _both_ methods no longer work.
Actually, looking at the code again the utf-8 strings are never supplied as
args to any Korundum methods, and so it must be some kind of general ruby
problem. I'm not sure why you haven't used the KDE::DCOPRef you've obtained
to set the wallpaper. For instance, this works fine for me:

#!/usr/bin/ruby

require 'Korundum'

KDE::CmdLineArgs.init(KDE::AboutData.new("a", "", '', '', 0))
KDE::Application.new

dk = KDE::DCOPRef.new('kdesktop', 'KBackgroundIface')
p =
'/home/duke/src/kde/kde/branches/kdevelop/3.4/languages/ruby/app_templates/rails/rails.png'
dk.setWallpaper(p, 4)

There are no known problems with utf-8 strings in QtRuby/Korundum, and I would
be surprised if it didn't work with a path containing umlauts.