[Kde-bindings] QtRuby and the GPL

Caleb Tennis caleb at aei-tech.com
Fri Dec 15 13:10:02 UTC 2006

I'm hoping someone knows the answer to this:

We have been developing internal Qt apps for a few years now, and we have a
commercial license.  We also use QtRuby pretty extensively.  All of our apps are
used in-house only, so they're not bound by the GPL per se until we release them.

We're getting ready to do just that for some customers.  Basically, the Qt based
applications will be bundled in an embedded system.  There will also be a few QtRuby
based applications on the system linking to the same Qt libraries.

Now, Trolltech has told me that the commercial license is for development - meaning
that I have to do my linking against the commercial licensed library during my
development work.  However, during distribution it's okay to link against a GPLd Qt
library.  So, if I install the GPL version of Qt onto the computer, then there's no
problem with using QtRuby apps alongside it, are there?

Obviously the QtRuby sources we distribute will be freely available, GPLd I suppose.
  But I want to make sure there's no issue mixing Qt Commercial code with QtRuby
code on the same computer.

Any thoughts?