[Kde-bindings] Lua bindings

Ariel Manzur puntob at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 04:35:42 UTC 2006

Hi..

On 4/20/06, Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 20:11, Ariel Manzur wrote:
> > Hi..
> >
> > I'm interested in aplying for a 'summer of code' project. I maintain
> > lua_qt (http://www.codenix.com/~tolua/lua_qt), which is a set of qt4
> > bindings for the Lua scripting language, so my idea was to produce
> > bindings for a subset of the kde API, to allow qt applications
> > 'integrate' well with kde (like using DCOP, session management, global
> > configuration things, using the 'parts' (I know about the 'kate part',
> > I assume there's a 'konqueror part' and a 'kde media player part')).
> > Obviously the actual work of generating the binding code is easy (once
> > we get a 'clean' api we use a code generator), but there would have to
> > be a lot of testing, so I thought I'd start with the most important
> > parts, and move on to the rest of the api after that.
> It should be quite easy to wrap the code to read in KParts, and then you can
> connect to their slots and signals and do things with them. And if you have
> DCOP support you can script apps too - there are several DCOP bindings
> projects, so you can get ideas on what to do from those. By the time KDE4
> comes out, it should have DBUS based ipc though, so it would only be worth
> doing DCOP if you wrap Qt3.

I spoke to a bunch of people, and it looks like everyone uses either
QT or KDE.. there's not 'middle ground' where qt apps use a couple of
kde features.. So I think I'll just start with some of the libraries,
probably kdecore, kdeui, kio and kparts.

> > I was wondering if there's interest in this (I've seen that there are
> > other methods of generating bindings used in kde at the moment), and
> > also what would be the best way to get help defining this initial api.
> Well the python and ruby bindings both wrap the entire Qt/KDE api. The most

Right, my goal is to eventually have the entire kde api too (I already
have qt4).. But since Summer of Code needs something with actual
goals, I thought I'd start smaller (kde api is too big :(

> similar project to yours is the kjsembed one which are bindings for
> JavaScript. The developers are Richard Moore and Ian Geiser, and there is a
> separate mailing list for kjsembed, so perhaps you could ask about an api
> subset there. It sounds interesting to me, and would be a good summer of code
> project. There is also the plasma api which might be good to wrap with Lua,
> but I don't know if it's actually defined yet.

For the plasma api, do you mean as an addition to the kde bindings, or
as a separate project? They don't seem to have an api defined yet, but
their roadmap suggests that one could start working on bindings at the
moment..

> -- Richard

Thanks for the help..

Ariel.