[Kde-bindings] Kopete protocol and Java

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Mar 16 11:33:47 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 16 March 2005 00:48, Albert Cervera Areny wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I want to develop a new protocol for kopete but the protocol _must_ be
> implemented over a platform which is written in java. I thought I could use
> dcop for the comunication between the Java and C++ parts but I've read in
> the archives that dcop is not working correctly with Java ATM.
Is kopete designed so that you can implement new protocols via dcop - I don't
know anything about it?

> 	Does anyone have an idea on how I could do that in a smart way?
It wouldn't be too hard to add dcop support to the java bindings, but I
personally haven't had time. The QDataStream operator '>>' and '<<' methods
are included as 'op_read()' and 'op_write()', so it should be possible to
implement dcop largely in java rather than C++. You need to use the
QDataStream methods to read and write to an underlying QByteArray - that's
the main basis of how dcop works. The method calls to send and receive are in
the bindings already, but the marshalling stuff needs adding.

There is a stand alone dcopjava library in kdebindings - maybe it would be
possible to use that? Although last time I had a look at it, and it was
fairly limited, uses a pre-processor and doesn't seem to be actively
maintained.