[Kde-bindings] QThread through smoke?

Caleb Tennis caleb at gentoo.org
Sat Feb 12 12:10:45 UTC 2005

On Saturday 12 February 2005 03:08, Richard Dale wrote:
> Ruby threads aren't native threads, and are different to Qt threads. I'm
> not sure that it's a good idea to use Qt::Threads with ruby - why not use
> ruby threads? All Qt calls need to be made by the main thread, but as long
> as the other threads don't make Qt calls it works fine.

The main reason I started playing with it is that Ruby subthreads seem to
handle blocking IO differently than the main thread, which is a bit of a pain
when you're doing serial IO in a subthread.  I have a multithreaded Qt
program that runs very well, but my attempts to rewrite it in RubyQt aren't
going so well due to the fact that the helper threads block for longer
periods of time and slow the GUI thread down.  I was hoping that using a
native QThread would help, but it was just experimental.