[Kde-bindings] license question

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 19:58:39 UTC 2005

On Monday 19 December 2005 18:58, Thomas Moenicke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are there any risks known if such a kde/qt language binding would be
> distributed under the LGPL license? All bindings I have seen are under GPL.
> Does it has a reason or is it just chance?
No, language bindings have to be GPL'd. But you can dual license it so that
holders of commercial licenses can do commercial things with it if you want
(eg an MIT license).

You also have to be careful about including 'qt' in the name of your project.
I had a mail from Trolltech's legal department about QtRuby 'diluting the
brand', and would I rename my project. I told them I thought that was a bit
unreasonable, and we agreed in the that I include this text in the 'COPYING'
file:

Trademarks

"[QtRuby": "[Qt]" name usage by permission of Trolltech AS, owner of the
Qt(TM) trademark

Which is why I called the C# bindings project 'Qyoto' to avoid any similar
trouble. But I can't imagine Trolltech ever wanting to do a php bindings
project though, so you shouldn't have any problem.