[Kde-bindings] Qyoto: SIGNALS/SLOTS

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 7 16:43:23 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 07 December 2005 15:36, Arno Rehn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I experimented a bit and created a more complex Hello-World sample app.
> I wanted to connect the "clicked()" signal of a button to the "quit()" slot
> of QApplication. Got a SIGSEGV.
> I looked into the Qt.cpp of qtruby and it seems as signals and slots are a
> bit difficult.
QtRuby dynamically constructs QMetaObjects, rather than it being done at
compile time by the moc pre-processor. But the actual runtime is identical.
We need a way of denoting which methods are slots in C#, and I assume we can
use 'attributes' (or are they called 'annotations' I've forgotten). Maybe you
could have a look at how we might mark slots, and then the runtime side
should be very similar to QtRuby. We don't have to invent anything much new
apart from that.

> But except this the bindings seem to work quite good :)
> And they are faster than the with IKVM converted qtjava-bindings ;)
That's interesting - I haven't done any timing tests on real proxies in Mono,
but there's certainly plenty of scope for tuning. I think the performance of
JNI is supposed to be pretty poor, and I would have used gcj's CNI for the
next version of QtJava, along with java dynamic proxies.