[Kde-bindings] Re: Smoke: On classes and objects

Luca Fascione lukes at wetafx.co.nz
Mon Apr 4 03:32:21 UTC 2005

Ashley Winters wrote:

>--- Luca Fascione <lukes at wetafx.co.nz> wrote:
>

>>TCL doesn't have types and so doesn't have type control.
>>

>Well, you're going to want to use the Tcl_Obj system to efficiently use
>Smoke in Tcl. For each argument passed to a function, you need to
>determine whether it's a list/dict aggregate type, a Qt object, or a
>simple type (any of string/int/float). Trying to figure that out
>automagically from everything's string representation would be hard.

Indeed, I was just stressing that TCL is the possibily the most weakly
typed language around... And anyhow data conversion should be driven by
the prototype for the particular method... or not? I mean being able to
resolve this in a TCL binding is going to be nasty. Suppose you are in
the following:

Situation:
 - suppose you have a method:

void someClass::myMethod (int count, char* string) { /* yadda yadda
yadda */ }

 - which is then overloaded by another method:

void someClass::myMethod (char* behaviour, int number) { /* re-yadda
yadda yadda */ }

 - it would appear natural to express this in TCL as

someClass myMethod value1 value2

Now, suppose that for some reason the actual call is

someClass myMethod 2 123

How do you distinguish which function to call?

Man this is nasty... I strongly doubt there is any way to solve this...

Any clues, anybody?

Lukes

--
Luca Fascione