[Kde-bindings] Future and status of qtruby (on Windows ?)

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 20:49:32 UTC 2004

On Thursday 30 September 2004 8:58 pm, Han Holl wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been playing with qtruby (on Linux, I'm a Linux only person), and I've
> been surprised by the completeness of it all. I't far from robust (feed the
> wrong kind of object to a method, and you're sure to get a segfault), but
> as long as you don't make mistakes, everything seens to work. This is of
> course the best of two worlds.
> At work I'm programming servers in ruby (fun, and works great), but
> colleagues of mine are creating GUI's fow Windows (to communicate with my
> servers), and they are working in Delphi, which really is a very poor
> environment when compared with Qt and ruby.
> I wonder if in future they might switch to Qt/Ruby, which for us would have
> the additional advantage of having the same development language, apart
> from the enormous productivity gain.
> For this to happen I must convince my management, that Qt/Ruby on Windows
> has a future: as long as it's a one man project I don't think they are
> going to go for it.
> The question really is: is there any chance that TrollTech is going to
> adopt these bindings (probably Python and Perl as well) on Windows? It
> would probably been seen as a direct competitor of their own QSA product,
> which I cannot believe has a strong market position.
> Paying for Qt licenses is of course not a problem for us, so it might be
> seen by TrollTech as a means to promote Qt. After all, other people are
> creating these languages (of which at least one is wonderful) for free.
> Has this been discussed anywhere already ?

The Python bindings work fine on Windows.

Python/Ruby/Perl bindings aren't (IMHO) competitors to QSA. They are for
developing complete applications and so are alternatives to the C++ bindings.
TrollTech seem to struggle with the idea that some people don't think C++ is
a very good programming language.

Phil