[Kde-bindings] Future and status of qtruby (on Windows ?)

Han Holl han.holl at pobox.com
Thu Sep 30 19:58:38 UTC 2004

Hello,

I've been playing with qtruby (on Linux, I'm a Linux only person), and I've
been surprised by the completeness of it all. I't far from robust (feed the
wrong kind of object to a method, and you're sure to get a segfault), but
as long as you don't make mistakes, everything seens to work. This is of
course the best of two worlds.
At work I'm programming servers in ruby (fun, and works great), but colleagues
of mine are creating GUI's fow Windows (to communicate with my servers), and
they are working in Delphi, which really is a very poor environment when
compared with Qt and ruby.
I wonder if in future they might switch to Qt/Ruby, which for us would have
the additional advantage of having the same development language, apart from
the enormous productivity gain.
For this to happen I must convince my management, that Qt/Ruby on Windows has
a future: as long as it's a one man project I don't think they are going to
go for it.
The question really is: is there any chance that TrollTech is going to adopt
these bindings (probably Python and Perl as well) on Windows? It would
probably been seen as a direct competitor of their own QSA product, which I
cannot believe has a strong market position.
Paying for Qt licenses is of course not a problem for us, so it might be seen
by TrollTech as a means to promote Qt. After all, other people are creating
these languages (of which at least one is wonderful) for free.
Has this been discussed anywhere already ?

Cheers,

Han Holl

PS Of course, what I would really love to see is the replacement of Windows
with Linux desktops, but I don't realistically think I can wait that long.
But when it happens, I'll be ready.