[Kde-bindings] KDevelop ruby support

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 15:22:30 UTC 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 16:04, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > I was thinking thats what you would do with a java program. In java
> > you can't change the $CLASSPATH once you're running, so you need a
> > shell script to set in up. But I think with ruby the top level needs
> > to add $KDEDIR/share/apps/<appname> to the ruby $LOAD_PATH array,
> > and that can be done from within ruby itself. So I think you're
> > right and there's no point in a shell script.
>
> Why do you need $KDEDIR/share/apps/<appname> ?  Because there are
> multiple ruby files for each program?
Yes, and other resources such as icons.

> How about if the build process just dumps everything in one ruby
> script and installs that to bin/ ?  Seems like an easy way to
> distribute a program.
Well that seems a bit ugly to me. I prefer the idea of tarring up the
$KDEDIR/share/apps/<appname> directory with everything in it instead. That's
why I'd like the script in the bin directory that starts the app to be as
simple as possible and autogenerated by the install.

Another possibility is for a C++ top level stub to be generated as part of the
install which would start the ruby app - much the same as we already have
with krubyinit. On Mac OS X you always need to have a top level compiled stub
with scripting languages for instance. A C++ stub would be needed for a KPart
written in ruby, so it might be more uniform to do exactly the same thing for
a KDE app.