[Kde-bindings] KDevelop ruby support

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Oct 24 05:52:11 UTC 2004

On Sunday 24 October 2004 03:25, Navindra Umanee wrote:
> > > Yes, it uses automake and it took me a bit of puzzling out how all that
> > > worked. It needs some install rules so that you can run the app like a
> > > normal KDE one. I wondered if it might be a good idea to have a top
> > > level shell script to start the ruby code, install that in the KDE bin
> > > dir with the ruby under $KDEDIR/share/apps/<appname>..
> >
> > That would definitely be cool because so far we cannot execute the
> > program without calling ruby. This would definitely be a plus to be able
> > to transparently run ruby apps.
>
> I don't understand this.  What does this gain from the normal method
> of putting "#!/usr/bin/env ruby" at the top of the script?
I was thinking thats what you would do with a java program. In java you can't
change the $CLASSPATH once you're running, so you need a shell script to set
in up. But I think with ruby the top level needs to add
$KDEDIR/share/apps/<appname> to the ruby $LOAD_PATH array, and that can be
done from within ruby itself. So I think you're right and there's no point in
a shell script.