[Kde-bindings] qtruby-1.0.4 build and install

Han Holl han.holl at pobox.com
Sun Oct 17 14:03:33 UTC 2004

On Sunday 17 October 2004 14:25, Richard Dale wrote:

> My problem is that I'm not much of an expert on how you construct rpm's,
> ruby gems, Mac OS X .dmgs or Gentoo ebuilds etc, and so for now it will
> have to stay much as the same as it is the cvs because that's the only
> thing I know about. I also use an Apple Mac, so I can't personally build
> Intel binaries. The good thing about qtruby being part of the KDE release
> is that someone else will be able to work that stuff out, and it won't have
> to depend on me.

Creating a rpm-specfile that works on different architectures and
distributions is not easy. The trouble with macro languages is that they are
designed to solve pretty easy problems, and than people are going to abuse
that to write complex scripts.
SometimesI create a 'binary only' rpm, (to have an easy uninstall), but such
an rpm would work only with exactly my version of ruby and qt. Not too
useful, as you would need a lot of them.
But put at least those four lines in the INSTALL file, and replace the 'if
building from a CVS snapshot' with 'you are installing from a CVS snapshot'.

Cheers,

Han Holl