[Kde-bindings] Kdejava in Eclipse

James Ots kde at jamesots.com
Tue Apr 27 22:37:35 UTC 2004

Hi,

I've just written and run my first Kdejava programme. Took me a while though.
First I had to compile the bindings since SuSE don't supply updated bindings
with KDE updates. Then I had to work out how to get java to pick up
libqtjava.so and libkdejava.so. That was the hard part.

From the shell I could either add /opt/kde3/lib/ to LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or add
-Djava.library.path=/opt/kde3/lib to the java command line. But when I tried
to run it from inside Eclipse 3.0M8, it could never find qtjava, despite
trying nearly every way I could think of for telling it how to find it.
Eventually I copied the .so files into $JAVAHOME/jre/lib/i386, and it worked.
Is there a better way to do this?

I also noticed that KMainWindow.menuBar() returns a QMenuBar rather than a
KMenuBar. I expect it's documented somewhere, but I haven't found it yet. Why
is this?

Anyway, I'm now trying to think of a killer app to write using Kdejava...

--
Cheers
James Ots