[Kde-bindings] RE: KDE.NET

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 22 15:40:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 22 April 2004 15:38, Martin Welch wrote:
> >>OK, maybe you could build an SWF api on top of C# v2 bindings to
> >>the native Qt and KDE classes? I would say developing another C
> >>bindings library is not a good idea - I've recently scrapped the
> >>QtC and KDEC bindings, as it was the wrong way to go.
>
> I've discovered that (so far) 90% of the effort is in figuring out how to
> implement SWF in Qt rather than the bindings. I spent far longer, for
> example, finding out that a call to polish() is the best place for a
> callback for Form.Load than implementing Form.Load. Implementing SWF using
> Qt# will still need that 90% effort.
Yes, you probably only need a fraction of the classes in Qt. polish() is a
virtual method which you have to override, but the old QtC bindings didn't
override that one, only event handlers. I probably know stuff about polish(),
and you may well know more about C#/.NET than I do.

> My other reservation would be that SWF->qt#->smoke may get a little too
> top-heavy from a performance point of view ?
Yes, I think you might be right. And the SMOKE version of Qt#/Kimono isn't
nearly finished and working yet - I'm afraid I haven't done much at all for
the past month. Maybe a better starting point would be a cut down version of
Qt# v1/QtC with all the unwanted classes removed. On the other hand if you
don't use any KDE classes it won't really be a KDE project.

> >>But I think you're trying to do something different
> >>to both Qt# v1 and Qt# v2/Kimono
>
> I'm inclined to agree with you here.
>
> >>I've personally never had a desire to implement SWF,
> >>or even thought about it.
>
> I'm convinced that an implementation of SWF is critical since 100% of .NET
> windows forms developers are already familiar with it. Very, very few .NET
> developers are familiar with Qt.
>
> I've just subscribed to kde-bindings - shall we continue this on
> kde-bindings instead?
Yes, please do. I think it would be nice to be able to have a KDE answer to
both Gtk# native api and the SWF api built on top of it. I think that in Gtk#
they have two versions of SWF; one which uses Wine for maximum compatibilty
with existing native code widgets, and another 'lighter weight' one. I wonder
if there's any code that could be borrowed from the Gtk version.