[Kde-bindings] Release at the end of the month

Dominique Devriese dominique.devriese at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Apr 18 12:45:26 UTC 2004

Phil Thompson writes:

> On Thursday 15 April 2004 12:02 am, Alexander Kellett wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 19:22:10 +0200, Simon Edwards
>> <simon at simonzone.com>
>>
>> wrote:
>> > As a developer it would suck having to wait 6 months just to get
>> > access to bug fixes (to possibly development-stopping bugs) or
>> > new kdelibs functionality.  Sure, you can say "cvs co
>> > kdebindings" blah blah blah but that is a roadblock for a lot of
>> > developers who might want to use the stuff in kdebindings but
>> > don't have the time or ability to mess with compiling big chunks
>> > of C++.  What I'm trying to say is that "ease of use" is a very
>> > important part why people use Python, Ruby, javascript etc.
>>
>> agreed.
>>
>> noone in there right mind wants the full kdebindings distribution
>> not packagers. not us. not end users. i personallly think we should
>> change configure to disable everything by default and switch on
>> what the user chooses.

> Just to throw something in from left field...

> All the discussion seems to be developer oriented. The user
> shouldn't have to care about how an application is implemented in
> order to know they have to install something extra. The runtime
> elements for all the bindings should be in kdelibs.

I disagree.  This would mean that python, GCJ etc. should all be moved
to kdelibs as well.  If the user wants to use an application without a
hassle, he should use a packaged version of it, and use an install
application that takes care of installing the dependencies.  If he
wants to compile stuff himself, he should make sure he knows what he's
doing.

cheers
domi