[Kde-bindings] Re: kdebindings/qtruby (silent)

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 12:45:21 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 15:03, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> [moving cc to kde-bindings]
>
> On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 03:22:22PM +0200, Alexander Kellett wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:11:47PM +0200, Richard Dale wrote:
> > > CVS commit by rdale:
> > > Directory /home/kde/kdebindings/qtruby added to the repository
> >
> > yay!, you rock!
> >
> > /me updates to check if its got method lookup thats okay
> > for ambigious type overides :) (no idea how to say that with correct
> > lingo)
> >
> > btw. 0.6 tarball worked well for me other than above thing
> > which was kind of a show stopper for going any further
> > in my app :(
>
> okay. not sure if the ruby_push_ary stuff fixes the ambigious
> methods problem. but reading over the diff against 0.6, two
> thinks strike as nice, 1) lack of hellish number of comments
> everywhere, and 2) qApp *is* way nicer than qapp :)
>
> so, wrt the methods problem (i.e, multiple methods with same
> name and different signature), is that likely to be fixed
> soon? (assuming that its not already fixed?) it would be
> really nice to be able to create popupmenus ;-)
Yes, it should work - I haven't tried popups yet. If you have a problem, then
the method that does the matching is this one in Qt.rb:

		def argmatch(methodIds, args, i)

There is some perl code halfway down the method, I haven't converted to ruby
yet:

				elsif argtype == 's'
				elsif argtype == 'a'

So a useful thing to do would be to convert it to ruby - I hadn't got round to
reading about how ruby reg exp pattern segmenting works yet.

> else. if you are out of time (i really hope not), i'm
> really not at all interested in doing any real c++ at
> the moment, but bindings work could be fun, so, any
> chance you could fill in the TODO list with a few things
> i could help out on?, first thing i'll do is to take a
> look for an answer to your "include Qt" question first.
Yes, top of the to do list, is writing a to do list :). The original RubyQt
bindings needed both a require and an include, but when I looked at the gtk
bindings they just needed a require.

Do the slots and signals declarations 'look right'?

Should there be a runtime option to use underscores and lower case only in
method names?

How do I get the name to appear on the window when a app is running like
PerlQt does?

Adapt puic to create a rbuic tool (I was going to do that next I think)

> maybe i could work on dcop related ruby stuff.
> though, thinks like dcopidl are pretty irrelevant
> as ruby is a dynamic language in any case, best
> option would be a easy to use module/baseclass
> to provide for a completely dynamic dcop iface.
Yes, the marshalling code would need another two actions like DCOPtoVALUE and
DCOPfromVALUE, and I think it should fit in quite nicely - see handlers.cpp -
just bigger case statements. If you look at the class hierachy, nearly
everything is a subclass of Marshaller - we'd need new classes called
'SendDCOP' and 'ReceiveDCOP' or similar.