[Kde-bindings] Re: kdebindings/qtruby (silent)

Alexander Kellett lypanov at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 14:27:54 UTC 2003

(removing cc:, your on the list anyways)

heya richard,

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 01:09:30PM +0100, Richard Dale wrote:
> Yes - it all came together after I fixed that overloaded method resolution
> properly (by copying the code from PerlQt).
>
> The other interesting problem I
> needed to get round was with constructors - here is the comment from the code:
>
> <snip>
>
> For a case such as the above, the QWidget can't be instantiated until
> the initializer has been run up to the point where 'super(parent, name)'
> is called. Only then, can the number and type of arguments passed to the
> constructor can be known. However, the rest of the intializer
> can't be run until 'self' is a proper T_DATA object with a wrapped C++
> instance.

aah. eek. nice workaround :)

> <snip>
> It leaks memory at the moment, and doesn't do everything PerlQt does yet, but
> looking good..

what are the main things its currently missing?
(duplication from my last email of course,
 just skip anything you replied to already ;-)

i was quite interested in doing some development
of a kind of wierd idea i've had for a while.
ruby is nice and dynamic, therefore, it would
be quite possible to provide a ui allowing
for completely visual inspection of the available
classes, kind of like kdcop but for qt classes :)

it would even be possible to store persistantly
store creations of widgets done through the ui
thus allowing project loading/saving, and even
some kind of simplistic code generation system.
in fact personally i don't think that creating
something quite a bit better than designer would
be an at all unrealistic goal for a single life
time of work :)

this would rock, i'd finally be able to just
code and not need to worry about how to do
it ever again, i seem to remember you sharing
this dream, so... :)

oh that reminds me. how about a use of a
delegator (i.e, coroutines, yield, whatever its
called :)) for signal handlers? (i.e, SLOT's)

you ever on irc?, would be useful :)

Alex