[Kde-bindings] Re: kdebindings problems & questions

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Sun Jan 12 15:56:54 UTC 2003

On Sunday 12 January 2003 3:48 am, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> while desperately trying to build kdebindings packages for the 3.1 release
> on Debian, I took Karolina Lindquist's sources and modified the setup to
> match the other KDE modules. Then I found a couple of things where I have
> some questions and where I'd need some help :-)
>
> The most serious thing is that in kdejava using builddir != srcdir doesn't
> work. I never hit this error ever, but the argument list for the shell was
> too long. Matze compiled it also and it worked for him - but with builddir
> == srcdir. So, obviously due to the java_JAVA target equals EXTRA_DIST,
> which is over 4000 files in kdejava/koala/org/kde, using srcdir != builddir
> will exceed the 32 k limit for command line arguments. I'm building now
> with srcdir = builddir, but anyway, the maintainers ( hi Rich :-)) should
> take care of that and split up the targets into separate sections for each
> KDE library where a java binding gets created.
I have 677 java source files in my kdejava/koala/org/kde/koala directory:

tipitina duke 508% ls *.java | wc -l
    677

So I'm not sure where the 4000 files have come from. 677 is still way too
many, and top of my to do list is to split the sources up into seperate
directories/packages like org/kde/koala/kparts, org/kde/koala/kio and so on.
That would probably halve the number of sources in the org/kde/koala dir.

The Makefile.am is generated automatically by KDevelop (you might be familiar
with that). I'm not sure if there's an easy way to get it to split up
EXTRA_DIST into several macros, so until I do the reorganise above it's
difficult to fix.

> Now, for building the whole package, I assume that with Python directory
> the path to the python modules that get installed locally are meant. So I
> set this to /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages as it seems that python 2.2 is
> required:
>
> checking for Python directory... /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages
> checking for Python2.2... header /usr/include/python2.2 library
> /usr/lib/python2.2/config modules /usr/lib/python2.2
> checking if a Python application links... yes
>
> As can be seen above, python works on Debian woody :-) but anyway, I get
> this:
>
> checking if dcoppython should be compiled... no
>
> at the end of configure. Which obviously belongs to:
> cat dcoppython/configure.in.in
>
> KDE_CHECK_PYTHON(1.5)
> if test -z "$LIBPYTHON" || test -z "$PYTHONINC"; then
>   DO_NOT_COMPILE="$DO_NOT_COMPILE dcoppython"
> fi
>
> So, what the heck should I do to make dcoppython compile ? :-) Advice not
> paid for but thankfully appreciated because it's 4:45 am and I'm tired :-)
I'm afraid I don't know anything about the dcop bindings.

> Last thing is Java. Although I'm using j2sdk1.3:
> checking for Java... java JDK in /usr/lib/j2se/1.3/bin
>
> and kdejava / qtjava is set to be compiled, I get:
> checking if dcopjava should be compiled... no
>
> Can one of the java gurus explain me the difference between:
>
> kdejava/configure.in.in :
>
> KDE_CHECK_JAVA([kdejava])
>
> and KDE_CHECK_JAVA([dcopjava]) ?? Thanks :-)
>
> For the objective-c stuff I probably need more digging :-)
Nightmare! I need to regenerate the Objective-C bindings before they'll build
with the Qt 3.1/KDE 3.1 headers. Now we have Apple wrapping KDE code in
Objective-C for WebCore, the time might finally have come for some KDE
Objective-C bindings (or then again perhaps not :) ).

I've cc'd this to the excellent new kde-bindings list.