[Kde-bindings] Parrot

Sean McGlynn sean at tmiau.com
Wed Feb 26 07:01:10 UTC 2003

Hello All,

Just wondering if anybody has been playing with the parrot VM and its Native
Call Interface (NCI) for binding it to KDE.

Just in case you're not following parrot's progress (hmm, sounds like a
book!), one of the core developers recently posted a simple way of calling Qt
from parrots high level assembler code (pasm). I've played with it and also
with creating a couple of small KDE apps. It's all very simple and jolly good
fun for all the family :-)
Have a look at

http://archive.develooper.com/perl6-internals@perl.org/msg15024.html

for the code if you're interested. It's small and fairly simple to
understand. Parrot itself is really nifty, even in its current state. If you
wanna play, anon cvs instructions are at http://www.parrotcode.org. Download
and compile is a 5 minute job.

As parrot is designed to be a universal VM for any dynamic language, such as
Python, Ruby etc., and not just for Perl6 (its reason for being), it has the
potential to be an all-in-one scripting solution for KDE, ("potential" being
the operative word here ;-)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has had time (or gets time) to play
with it.

Cheers,
Sean
--