[Kde-bindings] Using a custom RealProxy to implement a C# SMOKE adaptor

James Michael DuPont mdupont777 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 21 08:40:13 UTC 2003

--- Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 21 August 2003 04:56, Marcus wrote:
> > I'm so lost with all this SMOKE stuff lately, but I do think that
> using
> > SMOKE with C# is a huge mistake.
> It doesn't feel a mistake to use SMOKE for the QtJava project. Why do
> you
> think it would be a mistake for C#?

I think that the whole idea of extracting data from the compiler
instead of parsing c++ is great.

By using the compiler only one person needs to have, you can extract
all the relavant facts from the source code, and publish those facts.

The facts about qt dont change very often, so only marginal changes are
needed.

The issue of generating binding from those facts may need special tips
and tricks that augment the basic facts, but those dont change hardly
ever.

As far as I know, that is the goal of smoke? Markus with all respect, I
disagree with you if that is what you meant. Also I know you were
working on various parsers and generators that are competition to this,
respect to you on that, but I still feel that writing another c++
parser is not a productive thing to do. Maintaining it is also a
problem, why not use the gcc?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont