KDiff3 release

Adriaan de Groot groot at kde.org
Mon May 3 13:30:58 BST 2021

On Monday, 3 May 2021 13:00:11 CEST kde-announce-apps-request at kde.org wrote:
>    1. KDiff3 1.9.0 released (Michael Reeves)
>
> From: Michael Reeves <reeves.87 at gmail.com>
>
> KDiff3 1.9.0 is now released.
> It can be found at https://download.kde.org/stable/kdiff3/
> kdiff3-1.9.0.tar.xz.mirrorlist

Yay! This reached our (FreeBSD) packaging yesterday because the tarballs went
up on the download site. It leaves me *slightly* scratching my head, because
of inconsistencies -- that's why I'm CC'ing kde-community, where "All about
the Apps" is a KDE goal topic and it's good to get more exposure.

> Partial Change log:

So, KDiff3 is not part of the KDE Gear process. That's cool -- that's why we
get separate release announcements for it :)

I see there's a tag on invent, but no GitLab-style release. Have you
considered doing those as well? It's one way of making release notes easier to
find (not just hidden on a mailing list like this one).

The AppData release info was bumped, but only on the release branch; that
means that KDE's apps pages (e.g. https://apps.kde.org/kdiff3/) still show
outdated information.

I'm a bit confused by the (AppData) "homepage" URL, since that leads round-
aboutly to the apps page; I think my confusion is because that URL is shown as
"project homepage" on apps.kde.org, but doesn't effectively do anything. (So
it's more a website-generator confusion than about your specific app)

Hopefully my comments & questions can lead to better releases for all, both
Gear and independents without saddling you with any additional work.

[ade]