GCompris 0.96 release

Johnny Jazeix jazeix at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 12:42:05 GMT 2019

Hi,
We are pleased to announce the release of GCompris version 0.96.

This new version includes updated translation for several languages, and a
few bug fixes.

Translations that received a big update:

   - Brazilian Portuguese (100%)
   - Breton (100%)
   - Finnish (90%)
   - Indonesian (100%)
   - Norwegian Nynorsk (97%)
   - Polish (100%)

This means we now have 19 languages fully supported: British English,
Brazilian Portuguese, Breton, Catalan, Catalan (Valencian), Chinese
Traditional, Dutch, French, Galician, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian,
Italian, Malayalam, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Swedish, Ukrainian.

We still have 15 partially supported languages: Basque (78%), Belarusian
(68%), Chinese Simplified (69%), Estonian (62%), Finnish (90%), German
(84%), Hindi (76%), Irish Gaelic (82%), Norwegian Nynorsk (97%), Russian
(77%), Scottish Gaelic (70%), Slovak (62%), Slovenian (56%), Spanish (93%),
Turkish (73%).

We decided again for this release to keep the translations that dropped
below 80%. It would be sad to have to disable 10 languages from the
application, but if no one updates the following translations, they will be
disabled in next release: Basque, Belarusian, Chinese Simplified, Estonian,
Hindi, Russian, Scottish Gaelic, Slovak, Slovenian and Turkish.

For the windows version, we added a new entry in the start menu called
GCompris (Safe Mode) to launch it with software rendering mode. This was
needed as the auto-detection of OpenGL support was not reliable. Now, users
can easily choose between OpenGL and software rendering without changing
the configuration file.

Known issues: the progress bar for downloads doesn’t work anymore. This is
a side effect from our switch to https for hosting the files. We are
looking to improve this for next release.

As a side note dedicated to GNU/Linux distribution packagers, this new
version now requires OpenSSL to be able to download voices and additional
images.

As usual you can download this new version from our download page
<https://gcompris.net/downloads-en.html>. It will also be available soon on
the Android and Windows store.

Thank you all,
Timothée & Johnny