MemMap 1.0

unknown spirit unknown_spirit at aon.at
Mon Mar 10 15:12:17 UTC 2014

Name: MemMap
Version: 1.0
Type: Plasmoid Script
Depend: KDE 4.x
License: GPL
Homepage:
More Info:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=164105

 This is a simple memory monitor.
Having had installed Linux 64-bit for
compatibility reasons (UEFI), I stumbled upon
inexplicably high memory usage, running out of
resources as soon as there\\\'d been approximately
5 applications running in 10 windows.
In my quest for utter control of ongoing
processes, I developed a memory monitor with
standard unix memory information and a
signalplotter class that python conveniently
provided. However, observed values fell victim to
what is called \\\"integrated sanitisation\\\",
especially on a smaller scale, urging me to use an
own plotter.
Later on, I also found out that retrieved memory
information was basically useless for reasonable
interpretation and discovered a more accurate tool
to meet my needs, that is, \\\"smem\\\".
As a consequence, this plasmoid is bound to this
very program.
Requirements:
[li]smem: Download and install through your
package manager or access it directly over the
website http://www.selenic.com/smem/. If you do
the latter, be sure to set appropriate system
links (for example \\\"sudo ln -s /path/to/smem
/usr/bin/smem\\\"). Note that smem requires python
V2, so you\\\'ll need a bash script (python2
/path/to/smem \\\"$@\\\"
) in case your system already uses python V3.
[/li]
[li]System V IPC module for python.
If you don\\\'t have it yet, visit
http://semanchuk.com/philip/sysv_ipc/ for download
and install instructions.
Short manual:
Download file, go to the related directory and run
\\\"sudo python setup.py install\\\". For systems
linking python 3 per default, type \\\"sudo
python2 setup.py install\\\". If it quits moaning
about a python file install the package
\\\"python-dev(el)\\\" first. Eventually restart
KDE[/li]

TESTS
Plasmoid was tested on
Kubuntu 11.04, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.10
Arch2011
Fedora15
Slackware13.37
OpenSuse11.4