pycertvwr 0.1

Francisco D. fdsyncmaster at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 12:11:39 CEST 2010

Name: pycertvwr
Version: 0.1
Type: KDE System Tool
Depend: Qt 4.x
License: GPL
Homepage:
More Info:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=123471

 			X.509 Certificate Viewer

Introduction:
	This is the first version of a simple X.509
certificate viewer for KDE environment.

	It has been tested with several certificates on
Kubuntu 9.10 with PyQT4 bindings and m2crypto
library.

	It is also my first Python, PyQt4 and m2crypto
program, so bugs (a lot) are expected...

Requirements:

	This has been developed on Kubuntu 9.10 with KDE
4.4 with Python 2.6.4 using the available PyQT4
and m2crypto packages on Kubuntu/Ubuntu reps..

	I\\\\\\\'ve not tested on other
platforms/distributions, so there might exist
problems installing and using.

Functionality:

	The available functionality are the ones that are
available by the m2crypto lib:

	- View certificate subject, issuer, dates and
extensions
	- Open X.509 certificates in DER and PEM format
	- Export X.509 certificates in DER and PEM
format. This is better than using the openssl
command line

	It hasn\\\\\\\'t yet any way to validate the
following:
		- The certificate chain
		- The CRL
		- The validity of the certificate data
	Maybe for future versions.

Bugs:
        I believe that on this simple program
there are a lot of them, mainly:
          - incorrect use/design of QT designer
for creating the UI...
          - incorrect manipulation of strings,
mainly for decoding unicode/utf-8/utf-16 strings
that might be on the certificate
          - incorrect use of messagebox on the
class constructor...
          - unknow bugs that might make things
explode...

How to use it:

	The simplest way is to call it from the command
line with the certificate file as the first
parameter:

		pycertvwr cert.crt

	The certificate must be in DER (binary) or PEM
(Base64) format.

	It is also possible to associate the program to
the file extensions like crt, cer, der and so on
on Dolphin and Konqueror.

How to install:

	I\\\\\\\'m unable to find information on the web
for packaging python scripts for KDE, so the
solution so far is to copy the files to
/usr/local/bin or one directory that\\\\\\\'s
included in the PATH.

JOB RECOMMENDATION:
------
Praktikant Events/Business/Communication KDE e.V -
KDE e.V. - praktikum
 http://KDE-Apps.org/jobs/?id=74843
------
Praktikant Programmierung/Marketing
openDesktop.org - h i v e 01 gmbh - trainee
 http://KDE-Apps.org/jobs/?id=109

more jobs: http://KDE-Apps.org/jobs/