riv 0.8

Ignacio Serantes ig at aynoa.net
Thu Mar 26 18:53:45 CET 2009

Name: riv
Version: 0.8
Type: KDE Graphic Viewer
Depend: KDE 4.x
License: GPL
Homepage:

 riv - Ruby Image Viewer

A simple image viewer coded using ruby, Qt4 and
KDE.

Riv tries to mimic kuickshow simple interface but
with some improvements:

- easy digikam albums and tags accesibility. You
can easily create a desktop icon for access to
specific images from your digikam albums without
open digikam.
- copy viewed image (duplicate) to a new windowm.
You can mantain de original image an manipulate a
copy.
- save current layout. You can prepare a layout of
some of your images and later restore the layout.
See the screenshot for a sample.
- window frameless mode.

Planning features:

- digikam tag tree support.
- layouts slideshow.
- installer (icon and file association).
- thumbnails viewer.
- preconfigured slideshows (images, time,
position, zoom, rotation, etc...).
- configuration form.
- support of digikam 4 database format.

This is my first Ruby program and my first Qt
program, so suggestions from ruby & qt programmers
are welcome :).

Installation & configuration
----------------------------

ruby, rubygems, rubygem-sqlite3, ruby-kde4, or
equivalent packages, are required. wget is
required to download files from internet.

1) Copy riv to ~/bin
2) Edit file permissions and check "Is
executable".
3) Optional, but really useful, is create a
desktop icon to the program :).
4) If you try riv -h in console you can see:

Usage: riv [options] [URL]

Specific options:
    -c, --cfg FILE                   Alternate
configuration file (default
'~/.kde4/share/config/rivrc').
    -w, --write_cfg [FILE]
Creates/overwrites a configuration file.
    -f, --frameless                  Disable
window frame.
    -p, --print_cfg                  Prints
program configuration.
    -d, --digikam                    Shows first
digikam imagen from current album/tag.
    -r, --digikam_random             Shows random
digikam image from current album/tag.
    -a, --digikam_album ALBUM        Selects
digikam album.
    -t, --digikam_tag TAG            Selects
digikam tag.
    -l, --layout [LAYOUT]            Loads LAYOUT
layout.

Common options:
    -h, --help                       Show this
message.
    -v, --version                    Show version.

Hot-Keys
--------
c         -> copy viewed image to a new window.
f         -> window frame toggle.
esc       -> quit.
ctrl+d    -> set digikam albums path.
ctrl+a    -> select digikam album and shows an
image from album.
ctrl+t    -> select digikam tag and shows an image
from tag.
d         -> view first digikam image in current
album/tag and sets secuencial mode.
r         -> view random digikam image in current
album/tag and sets random mode.
o         -> restore zoom / best fit.
+         -> zoom +.
-         -> zoom -.
ctrl+-    -> rotate 90º left.
ctrl++    -> rotate 90º right.
space     -> next image (mouse wheel down).
backspace -> previous image (mouse wheel up).
home      -> first image.
end       -> last image.
s         -> save layout.
ctrl+s    -> overwrite layout.
l         -> load layout.
e         -> erase layout
ctrl+e    -> clear layout.
ctrl+w    -> start/stop secuential slideshow.
ctrl+r    -> start/stop random slideshow.
p         -> pause/unpause slideshow.
F11       -> toggle fullscreen mode.

Use left button & mouse to move image, control +
left button.& mouse to move the form.

Please, read file comments for more info and
documentation updates.

Changelog:
 ----- 26/03/09 -----
version 0.8 - Dot-comma release:
- CHANGE: Caption form string format changed.
- CHANGE: If riv can't open file riv exists
directly.
- BUG fixed: sometimes forms caption don't
displays correctly.
- BUG fixed: sometimes wget download fails for
malformed url.
- BUG fixed: riv hangs loading configuration file
for a wrong float numbers conversion
- BUG fixed: layouts fails to load due changes
converting float numbers

----- 13/08/08 -----
version 0.7 - internet release:
- Now internet protocols http://, https:// and
ftp:// are supported. I try to use kio but I can't
found examples of using kio from ruby bindings.
Waiting for a better solution I use wget to
download pictures.
- BUG fixed: pause button changes form caption
even if riv is not in slideshow mode.

----- 10/08/08 -----
version 0.6 - slideshow release:
- layouts now are ordered by name.
- basic slideshow. Use Ctrl+w to start/stop
secuential slideshow. Use Ctrl+r to start/stop
random slideshow. Use "p" to pause/unpause
slideshow.
- fullscreen mode (F11).
- secuencial and random digikam modes do not
requery db unless necessary.
- riv now remembers the last image viewed.
- changed control + left key + mouse move to the
more common alt key.
- code cleanups.
- BUG fixed: riv don't locate files with brackets
in path due Dir.glob() limitation. I changed
Dir.glob() for Dir.entries().

----- 29/07/08 -----
version 0.5 - layouts release:
- layouts. Use "s" key to save, "ctrl+s" to
overwrite, "l" key to restore,
 "e" key to delete saved layout and "ctrl+e" to
clear current layout.
- recursive digikam subalbums/tags. Can be
deactivated in configuration file.
- program displays now only first level digikam
tags to avoid problems with tags tree. A solution
will be available in a future release.
- various sql improvements and speedups.
- next/previous with skip x picture (Ctrl+Space
and Ctrl+Backspace). X can be specified in
configuration file.
- copy view works now.
- first steps to multilanguage.
- CHANGE: left click + mouse move the image, with
control key the form is moved.
- BUG fixed: programs fails to locate initial
image if directory is not
 especified (for example, riv image.jpg).
Workaround use "riv ./image.jpg".
- BUG fixed: copy view fails.
- BUG fixed: upper valid file extensions not
recognized.
- BUG fixed: incorrect default configuration file
location.

----- 25/07/08 -----
version 0.4 - a little improvement release:
- digikam album selection.
- digikam secuencial mode visualization.
- mouse feedback in time consuming operations.
- album & tag selection remembers last selection.
added "clear selection" option.
- album & tag selection are case insensitive but
only for 7 bits characters
 due sqlite SQL limitation.
- parameter --write_cfg now accepts an optional
FILE param.
- select file or directory to view.
- file open is the default operation if no
operation is specified in command
 line.
- image rotation.
- code cleanups.
- more accurate magic windows decoration numbers.
I don't found a better
 solution :(.
- better error handling.
- BUG fixed: program hangs with paths and
filenames with not 7 bits
 characters.

----- 22/07/08 -----
version 0.3 - first public release:
 - auto size improvement.
 - initial digikam support. Random image from tag
name. Tag selection.
 - frameless mode.
 - copy image. First try.
 - adecuate config file path selection
~/.kde4/share/config/, ~/.kde/share/config/ or
~/.config/

version 0.2 - and might work for others release:
 - mouse scroll.
 - zoom.
 - configuration file support.

version 0.1 - works for me release: