Speaker-Phone Plasma Applet 0.30 (for KDE4.2)

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Sun Mar 8 16:18:16 CET 2009

Name: Speaker-Phone Plasma Applet
Version: 0.30 (for KDE4.2)
Type: KDE Telephony
Depend: KDE 4.x
License: GPL
Homepage:

 This is my first plasma applet, kde4 project. I
wrote it because I needed it. There are programs
of this type for VoIP/SIP phones but I found none
for POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service).

You need kde4 and qt4 dev packages to build.
Expand the tar file and cd to the directory.
This applet will only work on Linux. Modem
commands are for a Hayes compatable speakerphone
modem with a Rockwell 336 chip but should work for
most others as well. Edit any needed in
phoneapplet.h.

Build like any cmake build:
mdir build
cd build
cmake ..
make
make install (as root)

Then run
kbuildsycoca4
(You may also need to restart plasma.)

unlock widgets, add phoneapplet widget.

Issues:
1. The ring monitor thread (from xringd) does not
terminate and is still running when the object is
destroyed (not nice but I've seen no ill effects).

2. QMessageBox is not showing the stock icons for
information, error, etc.
3. The phone buttons are getting alt/# shortcuts
even though I did not ask for these in the qt4
designer and they do not show there. No harm but
they simply clutter add nothing to the UI.
4. Fax operations can leave the ring-monitor
thread not detecting rings.
   Phone can still be answered using the
flash/pickup button and monitor reactivates in
time or next login.
   This is an issue in xringd as well. Solution
comes with solution to 1--restart after fax.

The future:
1. Caller ID. The program can support this but the
modem and the phone line must as well. Mine do
not.

Changelog:
 New in 0.20:
1. Configuration dialog. This is not carved in
stone, ideas on what to configure and how to
present it
are welcome. "Label" buttons on left side are all
active, either bringing up file dialogs for
choice,
help screens, or test sound or dial quick-dial
number.
2. Quick-dial numbers #0 .. #9. Confgure from
dialog or enter as #05551212 for #0 to dial
5551212.
3. Call history. Enter or the arrows on the phone
dialog enter the history and one can choose a
number.
4. Drag and drop--drag a phone number to the icon
and place call.
5. Right clock context menu for configuration,
etc.
6. Various corrections and tweaks.

New in 0.30:
1. Icon now responds in standard manner to mouse
hover.
2. CMakeLists.txt changed for KDE4.2. Recompile
and reinstall!
3. There is an icon for contacts but this will not
work as of yet.

New in 0.40:
1. Fax capabilities using command-line or other
utilities. Efax and imagemagick, available on most
distros, or equivalents are used. Note that fax
receive functions have not been fully tested
becauses I cannot send myself a fax.
2. Configuration uses plasma standard
configuration dialog.
3. Refactoring, preparation for translations.

New in 0.90-rc
Program is now feature complete!
1. Ready of Akonadi Plasma dataengine when this is
released.
   This can be svn'd from the kde playground but
this code can be troublesome.
   To use dataengine, Akonadi must be installed
and configured to serve KAbc contacts.
2. Quick dial and call history have user-friendly
text:number capability.
3. Quick dial extended as local addressbook, the
first 10 are quick-dial.
4. Quick dial/local addressbook merged into
contacts search.
5. Live contacts search by typing name.
6. Number/name typein box resizes front to show
longer text strings.