SixA 0.3

FIlipe Coelho falktx at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 12:54:47 CEST 2009

Name: SixA
Version: 0.3
Type: KDE Other Utility
Depend: PyKDE/PyQt
License: GPL
Homepage:

 Intro:
After the BlueZ stack was updated to 4.xx, Sixaxis
joysticks (from Sony PS3 console) stop working.
There's some people on the bluez team working to
make it work, but it seems that it could take a
while.
So I decided to create a simple GUI that would use
some patched 'hidd' that allows to connect Sixaxis
to a Linux PC "out-of-the-box".

The GUI is almost complete and has been tested to
work in 32 and 64bit computers. On PowerPC/PS3 PCs
it may work too, but not sure (I don't have a PS3
to test it...)

Installation:
To install, simply add my repository to the
Software Sources:
deb http://falktx.xtreemhost.com/repo/ubuntu
jaunty main
(It's normal if it gives a warning when updating
sources; the repo isn't trusted yet)

Then can you install it by opening a terminal and
type:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sixa

Usage:
I could explain every detail of the GUI, but it is
so easy to use that I don't thing it needs an
explanation.

Updates:
I plan to keep working on the GUI until the
Sixaxis joystick is officially supported in Linux.
I'll try to, at least, update the repo once a
week.

Bugs or feature requests:
To report bugs or ask for a new feature, just do
it on this post directly. Questions are welcome
too.

About the Code:
The GUI is written in pyQT (python-qt4) and uses a
bash-script (named 'sixa') to do the GUI
operations. It's released under the GPL v2 license
and you can get the code here:
http://falktx.xtreemhost.com/repo
(It's in the source directory)

Other Notes:
The original post is in the Ubuntu-Forums:

Changelog:
 Update: (Copied from changelog)
* Sixaxis connected through USB now appears on the
'list of sixaxis' [Disconnect button, as not
needed, is disabled when a USB Sixaxis is
selected]
* New SixA icon [Original icon from tango/gnome
devs]
* Updated sixa.desktop file
* Marked as RC1

JOB RECOMMENDATION:
------
Junior Software Engineer in Stuttgart (w/m) -
softSCIENCE GmbH - vollzeit
 http://www.KDE-Apps.org/jobs/?id=61
------
Praktikant m/w Programmierung/Marketing/IT -
openDesktop.org - trainee
 http://www.KDE-Apps.org/jobs/?id=109

more jobs: http://www.KDE-Apps.org/jobs/