Krecipes 2.0-alpha1

José Manuel Santamaría Lema panfaust at gmail.com
Fri Jul 3 01:35:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

I have released Krecipes 2.0-alpha1 which is the first Krecipes release for
KDE4.

The last 2 years, previous maintainer (Jason Kivlighn), didn't have enough
time to maintain Krecipes nor to port it to KDE4. So, in the meantime, Laurent
Montel and Daniel Sauvé started the KDE4 port on their own. A few months ago I
applied for a kde svn account and I have been improving a bit the kde 4 port
and as a result, we have 2.0-alpha1.

Before KDE4 transition, Jason was working on krecipes 1.0, which finally was
not finished nor released, so the highest version for kde 3 is currently 1.0-
beta2. Note that 1.0 is different from the 1.0-betas, so I don't want to
release this "1.0" version because afaik it's not finished. Jason and an user
told me that 1.0-betas are good enough to be 1.0. At the same time, the early
kde 4 port was named as 1.1. So, for convenience, I did the following renames:

- 1.0-betas to 1.0 (latest KDE 3 version) currently located here:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/krecipes/1.0/

- 1.0 to 1.1 (unreleased) currently located here:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/extragear/kde3/utils/krecipes/

- 1.1 to 2.0  (KDE 4 port) currently located here:
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/extragear/utils/krecipes/

By the way, the 2.0 branch is based on the unreleased 1.0 (now 1.1), not the
1.0-betas.

A problem about 1.0 branch:
1) Downgrading from 2.0-alpha1(kde4) to 1.0-beta2(kde3) it's not possible. I
mean, krecipes 1.0-beta2 will refuse to open databases created by 1.0-beta2,
beacause 2.0-alpha1 uses a 0.96 database and 1.0-beta2 uses a 0.95 database.
The only way to downgrade is doing a backup before the upgrade
2) I want to make easy (i.e. without switching the database) the downgrade
explained in 1) since it will be useful for beta-testers.
3) A fortunate thing: the current 1.0 branch contains an 1.0-beta2 slightly
modified to support a 0.96 database. Releasing this branch as krecipes-1.0.0
will solve the problem explained in 1)
4) I'm not going to release krecipes-1.0.0 right now because it will be
horribly hackish and I don't have enough time to do it. I'm considering to
release it in the future.

During July and August and part of September I will be a bit busy, so I'm
planning to go back to work on krecipes about September 20th. Hopefully, I
will release a 2.0-beta before the end of the year.

Currently, I have built krecipes 2.0 against KDE 4.2.4 installed from Debian
Packages. I will be busy during July and August, however I will keep an eye on
compilation failures and I will try to compile krecipes against KDE 4.3 and fix
the possible problems.

Also, note that, unfortunately the current 2.0 branch is *not* on string
freeze because I'm planning to do things for 2.0 brach that require new
strings. Also, I've not tested the 2.0 version at all and I might need to add
new strings to fix possible missing features.

Finally, a minor issue; I don't have permissions to delete this folder which
is a typo:
http://websvn.kde.org/branches/kreceipes/
It would be great if someone delete it. Note that I don't need write
permissions on /branches to work :)

Cheers, J.M.