KPackageKit 0.4.0

Daniel Nicoletti dantti85-kapps at yahoo.com.br
Mon Feb 16 20:12:32 CET 2009

Name: KPackageKit
Version: 0.4.0
Type: KDE System Tool
Depend: KDE 4.x
License: GPL
Homepage: http://www.packagekit.org

 KPackageKit is the KDE interface for PackageKit.

I've saw people saying that KPackageKit is the
substitute for yum, as Synaptic is for apt...
PLEASE DON'T say any of those things, please first
have a good look at www.packagekit.org website :D

KPackageKit intended to be ONLY a PackageKit
interface, this means if there is some cool
feature like improving the performance of a yum
database it is PackageKit related and distro
specific stuff that should be discussed there.

If you use Fedora >9 it's the default package
manager (from the UI point of view).
So now you can use PackageKit from a KDE app :D

This version does not provide backwards
compatibility (ie working with PackageKit < 0.4),
update to this version ONLY if your PackageKit and
QPackageKit (packagekit-qt) are >= 0.4.

We hope you enjoy KPackageKit, and please report
bugs, make wishes gives us feedback so we can
improve this application.

BUGS goes now to bugs.kde.org

It features:
 - Search by file name and details (NEW!)
 - Search (Get details, files, depends, required
by)
 - Install
 - Install Files
 - Remove
 - Check for Updates
 - Check and Install Distro Upgrades (NEW!)
 - Install Updates
 - Automatically refreshes your cache
 - Automatically install updates
 - Pop up to show the available updates
 - It's possible to enable the Origin of packages.
 - Icon tray to show all the running transactions

--------------------

IMPORTANT:
KPackageKit itself can do nothing without
PackageKit and libpackagekit-qt, this last one is
being developed together with the ui.

I'm the main developer of KPackageKit ui, in this
release we also have Trever Fischer developing and
Adrien Bustany is the main developer of
libpackagekit-qt (or QPackageKit).
Sometimes he helps me with the ui and sometimes i
help him with the lib...

-------------------

INSTALATION

Well now that you decide to install it. Be careful
:D no warranty is given..

Requirements:
PackageKit 0.4 (ATTENTION HERE!!)
- The package provided here does NOT contain
- libpackagekit-qt 0.4 - (It's now included in
PackageKit /lib sources)

PackageKit itself, so please first make it work on
YOUR distro.
Qt >4.4 (Won't compile with older versions)
KdeLibs of Kde4
Policykit-DBus
Policykit-KDE (YEAH now kde has one interface too
:D)

If something is missing please say :)

Compiling:
- $ cd KPackageKit # here is KPackageKit dir
- $ mkdir build && cd build
- $ cmake .. -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/
- $ make
- $ su
- # make install

Enjoy :)

Changelog:
 beta2
- some fixes to work with backends that do not
support getDepends and getRequires yet.
- check if the user is not auth

beta3
- fixed auth issue with polkit
- added suport for automaticaly check for Updates

beta4
- working with the brand new packagekit 0.3
- install updates and update system (if you select
all selectables updates)
- automatically refresh cache
- the lib is now documented!(uhh hard work :P )
- thanks to Steven M. Parrish for a misspelling
patch

0.1 release
- Automatically install updates
- Lots of bug fixes
- Enable Repositories (Origins) now possible
- QPackageKit2 complete rewrite
- Icon tray fully working

0.3.1
- fixed the Updater Ui
- Add support for installing files

0.4.0
- improvements in transaction ui (Daniel and
Trever)
- new way of show details
- saves grouping option (Thanks to Lorenzo
Villani)
- get and install Distro Upgrades (thanks to
Thomas Goettlicher)
- feature now you can group packages in Add/Rm ui
(Trever)
- fixes in the Add/Rm Ui
- fixes in the Updater Ui