FFMpegMenu 1.0

dann kettle initial.dann at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:13:14 CET 2007

Name: FFMpegMenu
Version: 1.0
Type: KDE Service Menu
Depend:

 =================================
FFMpegMenu Installation:

*You must have ffmpeg installed correctly to use
the iPod conversion. More instructions below.

> Installing ffmpegMenu in Konqueror:
(You must be root or sudo)

cp [location of .desktop file]
/usr/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus/

> Installing ffmpegMenu in Dolphin
(You must be root or sudo)

cp [location of .desktop file]
/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/

* If the servicemenus/ doesn\'t exist, you must
create it. Name of folder may vary with distro.

=================================
Installing ffmpeg for use with ffmpegMenu:

(I subversioned the source of ffmpeg from their
site. You must install subversion to get it.)

You must have the following dependancies
installed:

liba52
libdc1394
libfaac
libfaad
libfaadbin
libmp3lame (or liblame)
libtheora
libvorbis
libx264
libxvid

libavutil
libavcodec
libacformat

gcc 4.1.3

(Install these at your own risk. Make sure to get
the [packagename]-dev files. I used the Gusty 7.10
repos 64-bit and it worked for me.)

Then configure your ffmpeg source:

./configure --enable-gpl --enable-liba52
--enable-libdc1394 --enable-libfaac
--enable-libfaad --enable-libfaadbin
--enable-libmp3lame --enable-libtheora
--enable-libvorbis --enable-libx264
--enable-libxvid

(This worked for me. Other options may be added
but I won\'t cover those.)

After configuring and Make/Make Install, you
should have a functional ffmpeg.

Also note: You can convert multiple files at once,
but this may really slow down your computer. Each
file will bring up a terminal window. Press \'q\'
to quit. Window will have  in the title or will
exit when completed.

With 2.8ghz dual core, 512mb video and 4 gigs of
ram I got 5 files encoded and a barely noticable
slow-down.