DON'T Let It Burn! (1-click Timer) 1.0

Rossana Motta rossana.hell.no.127.0.0.1 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 19:00:19 CEST 2007

Name: DON'T Let It Burn! (1-click Timer)
Version: 1.0
Type: Service Menu
Depend: KDE 3.5.x
License: LGPL
Homepage:

 This little script is just a very basic, 1-click
alarm clock. You set the number of minutes and at
that time a sound (which you need to set - WAV
file only) will be played. No application is
started, the sound is played through the aplay
command, so it's independent from the player you
have installed.

** Why?? **

I know there are tons of much better alarm clocks
out there. In fact, this is not supposed to be an
alarm clock. It's just a sort of kitchen timer,
for computer addicted.

My problem was that i was burning all my food
(kinda following, too literally, what Usher says
in his song "Let it burn!").
After throwing something in the oven or putting on
the cookers i use to go back working on the PC and
every time i forget about the food. I can't be
bother to set a "full alarm clock", need something
REALLY fast that reminds me about the food just
some minutes later (and if possible i prefer that
such reminder is not the horn of the firemen
coming to extinguish the fire i caused :P )

** Installation **

Place dont_let_it_burn.desktop in
/home/YOUR_USERNAME/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/servicemenus
Place dont_let_it_burn.sh in
/home/YOUR_USERNAME/bin
Place dont_let_it_burn.au in
/home/YOUR_USERNAME/bin

IMPORTANT: you need to point to a valid audio
file, supported bu the aplay command (wav or au
for example). I have included a small sample file,
dont_let_it_burn.au, if you place it in the bin
directory then you dont need to do anything else.
If you want another file just modify
dont_let_it_burn.sh setting a valid path in the
variable FULL_PATH_TO_AUDIO_FILE