Katapult-Fast Track 0.1

Ryan Bitanga rjpbitanga at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 23 08:16:50 CEST 2007

Name: Katapult-Fast Track
Version: 0.1
Type: KDE Improvement
Depend:
License: GPL
Homepage:

 This is a Katapult fork based of the KDE SVN
repository. It fixes several outstanding issues of
upstream Katapult. Unfortunately, Katapult
development stagnated and no progress has been
made upstream for half a year. Hopefully someone
from the team will actually reply to my e-mails so
Katapult development can continue. If not this
fork will need a name (I'm obviously leaning
towards Fast Track) and will be a separate project
altogether.

Improvements over last stable Katapult release:
* Support for multiple results (Press up or down
keys to see more results)
* Support for multiple actions (Press left or
right keys to see more actions)
* Adaptive search
* Threaded architecture
* Non-blocking DCOP calls

Kudos to the team for providing the framework for
multiple results, multiple actions, and
multithreaded catalogs.

Caveats:
* Currently, only the program and bookmark
catalogs actually return more than one result at a
time.
* Only the program catalog supports adaptive
search.
* Only the amarok catalog has multiple actions.

What this means for YOU:
* The amarok catalog should not slow down Katapult
if you have a big collection of songs.
* The amarok catalog can now queue songs and add
songs to the current playlist
* The program catalog will adapt to your launching
preferences (i.e. no more "Konquest" results when
all you want is "Konqueror")
* You no longer have to type more letters (press
the down key to choose something else)

What is still lacking:
* Testing. Especially for the amarok catalog. I
only have a couple of GB worth of songs so I can't
speak for everyone but this should be an
improvement over the last release.
* Spell catalog. I've tried everything to get
KSpell to play nice with separate threads (i.e.
call KSpell in the main thread, block the worker
thread till KSpell is done, then pass the result
to the worker thread) but it just won't work.
* Composite support. I haven't applied my own real
transparency patch. Don't try to apply it here
because it was made to specifically work against
0.3.1.4.

INSTALLATION:
Extract the files. cd to the created directory.
Then ./configure and make and then install as
root.

For any problems, either leave something here or
post something at the Katapult forums. I'll get
back to you as soon as I can. Please include how
to reproduce your problems.