Katapult-Fast Track 0.1.1

Ryan Bitanga rjpbitanga at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 17:23:31 CEST 2007

Name: Katapult-Fast Track
Version: 0.1.1
Type: KDE Improvement
Depend:

 This is a Katapult fork based on the KDE SVN
repository. It fixes several outstanding issues of
upstream Katapult. Unfortunately, Katapult
development stagnated and no progress has been
made upstream for half a year. I recently got a
response from the project manager of katapult. If
you don't think I should hand the changes over
upstream, send me a suggestion for a name or else
we'll see what we can do to incorporate my changes
back into the original katapult.

[b]Improvements over last stable Katapult
release:[/b]
[li] Support for multiple results (Press up or
down keys to see more results)[/li]
[li]Support for multiple actions (Press left or
right keys to see more actions)[/li]
[li]Adaptive search[/li]
[li]Threaded architecture[/li]
[li]Non-blocking DCOP calls[/li]

Kudos to the team for providing the framework for
multiple results, multiple actions, and
multithreaded catalogs.

[b]Caveats:[/b]
[li]Currently, only the [i]program and bookmark
catalogs[/i] actually [i]return more than one
result[/i] at a time.[/li]
[li]Only the [i]program catalog[/i] supports
[i]adaptive search[/i].[/li]
[li]Only the [i]amarok catalog[/i] has [i]multiple
actions[/i].[/li]

[b]What this means for YOU:[/b]
[li]The amarok catalog should not slow down
Katapult if you have a big collection of
songs.[/li]
[li]The amarok catalog can now queue songs and add
songs to the current playlist[/li]
[li]The program catalog will adapt to your
launching preferences (i.e. no more "Konquest"
results when all you want is "Konqueror")[/li]
[li]You no longer have to type more letters (press
the down key to choose something else)[/li]

[b]What is still lacking:[/b]
[li]Testing. Especially for the amarok catalog. I
only have a couple of GB worth of songs so I can't
speak for everyone but this should be an
improvement over the last release.[/li]
[li]Spell catalog. I've tried everything to get
KSpell to play nice with separate threads (i.e.
call KSpell in the main thread, block the worker
thread till KSpell is done, then pass the result
to the worker thread) but it just won't work.[/li]
[li]Localization. I need translations. You could
of course just ./configure the katapult-0.3.2
sources and make install inside only the po
directory.[/li]

[b]INSTALLATION:[/b]
Read the INSTALL file included. For the impatient,
it is now CMake based. So either create a build
directory or run
[quote]cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$KDEDIR
-DREALTRANSPARENCY=1 .[/quote]
within the source directory.

Simply remove the -DREALTRANSPARENCY=1 switch to
disable composite support.

[b]USAGE[/b]
[i]Real transparency:[/i]
[indent]Run a compositing window manager such as
compiz before launching katapult-fast track. If
you switch from KWin to compiz/beryl while
Katapult-Fast Track is running, you have to
restart Katapult-Fast Track for real transparency
to work. Likewise, shifting to KWin from
compiz/beryl requires restarting the
program.[/indent]
[i]Amarok catalog:[/i]
Amarok must be running first.
[i]Google and exec catalogs:[/i]
Type the keyword (either "google" or "exec"
without the quotation marks using the defaults)
before entering your query.

For any problems, either leave something here or
post something at the Katapult forums. I'll get
back to you as soon as I can. Please include how
to reproduce your problems.

Changelog:
0.1.2
- Add real transparency support
- Enable google and exec catalogs
- Theoretically fix a possible crash for duplicate
programs
- Switch to CMake

0.1.1
- Fix crashes due to o2 display plug-in