KNewz 0.1 beta2

Lawrence Lee valheru at facticius.net
Wed Aug 15 10:58:22 CEST 2007

Name: KNewz
Version: 0.1 beta2
Type: KDE Usenet Application
Depend: KDE 4.x

 This is a binary newsgroup client for KDE4. I
wrote it because there is no one client out there
that does what I want it to. Planned features
include automatic PAR2 checking (via kpart, whee),
automatic unpacking of downloaded files, System
tray support (trivial I know :p ), DBUS support,
automatic queue save and restore upon
shutdown/startup. Feel free to request more :)

Changelog:
 [b]Beta 2[/b]
Development has been on hold for the summer
vacation :) KDE Beta 1 has just come out however,
so I made the code compatible with it. I hadn't
been developing it lately since the KDE API was
constantly in flux, and I got sick of adding new
features only to have my code not compiling with
the next SVN revision because the API had been
changed. However, the API has been frozen now so
I'll be developing this actively now again.
The good news is that I have been using this
exclusively to download my binaries, and I have
found and fixed lot of bugs. A few remain though,
and will be fixed for the 0.1 release. Queue
saving and editing features will be introduced in
the 0.2 release, and the connection code will be
rewritten.

[b]Beta 1[/b]

-Systemtray integration added

-Speed reporting for download threads added to
main GUI.

-Removal of downloaded parts added. Main GUI still
does not delete downloaded files entirely, to be
fixed.

-Logging added. Program now logs failures to log
file that is located in /home/user/knewz/log.txt
by default.

[b]Known bugs[/b]

-Some files do not update their status even when
downloaded entirely.

-Timeouts due to network congestion are not
handled gracefully, so the file will not download
completely nor be decoded if a thread downloading
a file undergoes a timeout.

-Due to a KDE4 bug, calling cancel the quit dialog
instantiated from the system tray menu while the
program is minimized will cause the program to
exit. Similarly, using a menu option while the
program is minimized to either open a *.nzb file
or to open the configuration widget will terminate
the program when the called widget is closed by
any means (ok button, cancel button or whatever)

[b]Alpha 3[/b]

-Decoder progress bars in main GUI now actually
work

-Decoder now decodes files into subdirectories in
the main download directory according to the
filename of the *.nzb

[b]Alpha 2[/b]

-Decoder progress bars added to main GUI

-Decoder now works properly for multipart binaries
with incorrect subject title

[b]Alpha 1[/b]

Early alpha release, so expect it to eat your gnu,
rape miscellaneous pets and sexX0r your computer.