Release APKs and app store delivery

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Apr 24 09:16:26 BST 2021

Hi,

with the Craft-based Android release package builds hopefully being close to
working, here are some thoughts on the next steps of getting those packages
into the corresponding app stores/repositories, and a few points I would need
help with.

(1) Signing
This should mostly be a copy/paste job from the existing setup for the nightly
builds.

(2) F-Droid Release Repository
On the Jenkins side this should also be mostly a copy/paste job, the nightly
build script for this will only need minor adjustments to be less aggressive
for expiring old packages.

We however would need to set up a new repository for release packages, next to
the one with the nightly builds. Ideally with a long-time stable URL so we can
maybe convince the F-Droid people to include that by default as an external
source (even if that means disabled by default as per their policy, still
better than not being available at all). That's probably something that would
need sysadmin help.

(3) Google Play
I would like to evaluate using fastlane supply (https://docs.fastlane.tools/
actions/supply/) for automatically uploading metadata and APKs to Google Play.
That doesn't necessarily imply publishing APKs blindly, but being able to
automatically have APKs in the staging area as well as automatically syncing
translations for the app description seems very much worth it to me. And given
that fastlane actually defined the metadata format that F-Droid is using I
have high hopes that this integrates well with what we already have.

However, fastlane seems to be mainly distributed via Ruby's package manager,
not via regular distro packages. Is that a blocker for installing this on the
signing machine?

For testing, I'd also need an API access key for our Google Play account, as
described in the above link. I think that's something Aleix has to set up, I
don't have permissions for that.

This then presumably also needs a small driver script like we have for F-Droid
to upload new packages and metadata after signing.

Makes sense?

Regards,
Volker