Tracking Poppler master on binary factory

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Fri Oct 4 10:58:49 BST 2019

On Friday, 4 October 2019 00:35:11 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El dijous, 3 d’octubre de 2019, a les 10:55:52 CEST, Volker Krause va
escriure:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm looking into the build issue of KDE Itinerary on Android on binary
> > factory
> > (https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Android/job/Itinerary_android/).
> >
> > The problem is the following: Itinerary uses unstable Poppler API, Poppler
> > changed that API in its master (but not its version number yet), Itinerary
> > has been adapted but that would only start to take effect once the
> > Poppler version number is bumped. So, with binary factory tracking
> > Poppler master we now have a combination that doesn't build.
> >
> > I see three possible solutions:
> > (1) Itinerary doesn't #ifdef by Poppler version but implements actual
> > configure checks that test for the API differences by trying to compile
> > corresponding code snippets.
> > (2) Binary factory tracks the latest Poppler release instead of master.
> > (3) Poppler bumps its version numbers right after instead of right before
> > release.
>
> The question is more, that is that CI job for? Is it something we want to
> give people so they use? Then it should not be using poppler master, i mean
> we poppler devs try not to break things, but it makes much sense to use a
> stable version if it's something you give to people to use.
>
> If the CI job is there to catch this things, then 2 doesn't help.

Right. Since this tracks master of the KDE repos too, I'd not assume this is
something for normal use, rather something for integration testing of all the
involved components.

> My problem with 3 is that bumping the release early can result in people
> saying "but i have version X" when they really don't. But maybe that's
> going to be 0.1 people in the whole world :D

Good point, that could be a problem. But wouldn't this happen the other way
around too, ie. people claiming they are on X - 1 while they are already
somewhere halfway on the way towards X?

Regards,
Volker