Tracking Poppler master on binary factory

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Thu Oct 3 09:55:52 BST 2019

Hi,

I'm looking into the build issue of KDE Itinerary on Android on binary factory
(https://binary-factory.kde.org/view/Android/job/Itinerary_android/).

The problem is the following: Itinerary uses unstable Poppler API, Poppler
changed that API in its master (but not its version number yet), Itinerary has
been adapted but that would only start to take effect once the Poppler version
number is bumped. So, with binary factory tracking Poppler master we now have
a combination that doesn't build.

I see three possible solutions:
(1) Itinerary doesn't #ifdef by Poppler version but implements actual
configure checks that test for the API differences by trying to compile
corresponding code snippets.
(2) Binary factory tracks the latest Poppler release instead of master.
(3) Poppler bumps its version numbers right after instead of right before a
release.

How do we want to proceed? I can do (1), but that is quite some short lived
work that will only ever be useful until the next Poppler release. I lack
insight on whether (2) and (3) would be possible and/or how much work that
would be.

Thanks,
Volker