Transition to Dedicated Signer for Android Builds

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Mon Nov 18 17:30:59 GMT 2019

On Tue, Nov 19, 2019 at 6:23 AM Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 9:35 AM Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have just completed transitioning the Android builds on the Binary
> > Factory from having the signing handled on the builders themselves (by
> > Qt's Android Tooling) to a dedicated signing machine (using Android's
> > tooling directly).
> >
> > Should there be any issues please let me know.
> >
> > This has improved the overall security and scalability of the Binary
> > Factory, ensuring that high value assets such as our signing keys are
> > kept separate from the builds themselves.
> >
> > As part of this the F-Droid repository on cdn.kde.org will also be
> > automatically updated going forward.
> >
> > For now this is pointed to a test path - if someone could please
> > confirm that the repository at https://cdn.kde.org/android/test/ is
> > working correctly, that would be appreciated (after which i'll switch
> > it to the production path).
> >
> > (Side note: it appears we are producing APKs marked for debugging,
> > which F-Droid isn't 100% happy with)
>
> What error are you seeing?

It isn't an error, it is a warning generated by the F-Droid tooling.

Copying from the most recent build log on the Binary Factory:

03:58:16  + python3
/home/androidsigner/binary-factory-tooling/android/generaterepo.py
--fdroid-repository /home/androidsigner/repository/
03:58:23  WARNING: repo/arm-koko_build_apk-debug.apk is set to
android:debuggable="true"
03:58:31  WARNING: repo/arm64-koko_build_apk-debug.apk is set to
android:debuggable="true"

> Note, having seen Nico's message: there's different kinds of debug
> information depending on how the apk is being generated. We used to
> ship release apks with debug info in the .so files, but this could
> have changed.
>
> Aleix

Cheers,
Ben