Supported NDK versions

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Fri Jan 11 01:22:17 GMT 2019

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 9:34 PM Volker Krause <vkrause at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> with NDK 17 GCC got deprecated, with 18 (from Sep 2018) it even got
> entirely
> removed, and with it the corresponding C++ STL libs. And the current Qt
> SDK
> (5.12) only ships with clang-based binaries. Do we still want to support
> GCC-
> based NDKs? If so for how long? If no, does it make sense to make a hard
> cut
> now, and switch everything to the newer NDKs and the Clang-based toolchain?
>
> I'm wondering as we are hitting limits with the wide NDK and SDK range we
> currently try to support, e.g.
> https://phabricator.kde.org/R1007:3c86b3900aafa374389dee74ec83ae17488d521d
> is
> needed to build with NDK 18/SDK 28 and Qt 5.12, but it breaks binary
> factory
> and any other older setup.
>
> Note that this is only about the compile-time requirements, this has no
> effect
> on still supporting older API levels for the resulting apps at runtime,
> that
> we definitely want to keep.
>
> Regards,
> Volker

I'd say it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to support anything other than
r18.

I've been working on it on this patch (okay, it's been sitting for a while,
but I can see to get it applied).
https://phabricator.kde.org/D18173

We can keep a legacy image for Qt 5.11 with gcc and this one as official
for Qt 5.12 while we transition.

Aleix