KDE on Android sprint in València

Volker Krause vkrause at kde.org
Sat Oct 6 09:38:03 BST 2018

On Wednesday, 3 October 2018 20:52:14 CEST Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello Aleix,
>
> On lundi 1 octobre 2018 17:35:39 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:

> > > Thanks for driving this Aleix!
> > >
> > > The weekend of the 24th works for me, I could likely only extend this
> > > towards Monday though.
> > >
> > > In terms of possible topics, here are some ideas:
> > >
> > > KF5 on Android:
> > > - notification via KNotifications: does that API work for Android? can
> > > we
> > > build this without requiring widgets and dbus?
> > > - async access to content:// URLs: seems to match the KIO API, does it
> > > make
> > > sense to use that?
> > > - Intents vs Purpose: would Purpose be usable as a platform abstraction
> > > for
> > > intents, using system intents on Android and its own implementation on
> > > Linux?
> > >
> > > Binary Factory/Deployment:
> > > - how can I customize the build for my app? (e.g. enabling static builds
> > > of
> > > individual libs, add/remove individual dependencies,  etc)
> > > - where is the meta data for apks/F-Droid coming from?
> > > - how do we do app releases?
> > >
> > > Android STL
> > > - poppler >= 0.69 requires the LLVM STL rather than the deprecated GCC
> > > one,
> > > probably more to follow in the future. How do we deal with this/can we
> > > switch entirely/what are the side-effects of switching?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Volker
> >
> > All of these sound like sensible topics, thanks Volker!
> > Maybe it would make sense to start a thread about this in the mailing
> > list? Some of these are already taken into account and others knowing
> > what we want could be useful before the sprint.
> >
> > Can those of you who may come add your name here?
> > https://notes.kde.org/p/kdeonandroid-sprint
> >
> > I still am rather underwhelmed about the response on the sprint TBH.
>
> I will not be able to make it to the sprint but would like to work on
> sharing solution when sensible between applications.
> For example, for Elisa, I have worked on a wrapper for the equivalent of
> Baloo on Android. I think that it could be also useful for Vvave (if Camilo
> agrees with that ;) ) or the Okular Android application (maybe).
> Could finding how to host such Android API wrappers be discussed at the
> sprint ?

Sure! For me this is "KF5 on Android", ie. if we have matching APIs already we
should add Android backends there, if not we might want to create new (cross-
platform) frameworks for this. Android-only API wrappers are IMHO less
desirable as final outcome, unless it's for things that makes no sense in a
cross-platform context (they might still be a good intermediate step towards a
full KF5 solution though).

Regards,
Volker