Mobile components and convergence

Dennis Nienhüser nienhueser at kde.org
Tue Mar 29 17:36:10 UTC 2016

Am 29.03.2016 14:19, schrieb Thomas Pfeiffer:
> On Dienstag, 29. März 2016 12:35:43 CEST Aleix Pol wrote:
>> > Sure but bundling Qt libs in every app we publish makes the simplest
>> > application already a burden to install -- I have a quite simple Qt for
>> > Android application ocupping nearly 60Mb of storage. Having that multiple
>> > times in a single device might make things infeasible. Am I missing
>> > something? :)
>>
>> 60MiB is too much, I'm sure you can cut stuff.
>>
>> Aleix
>
> Subsurface-mobile, which is quite a complex app, is ~60MB in installed
> size,
> including Kirigami.
> KAlgebra is 62.88 MB (it doesn't use Kirigami).

Behaim Globe and Marble Maps (both based on Marble which includes the
entire marblewidget library and several plugins) are unpacked around 47
MB each. There is 10 MB of Marble specific data included in that size.
We started with something much bigger and one of the key parts to trim
down the size was to use 'make install/strip' instead of 'make install'
in the Android builds. The 'install/strip' target is added automatically
by cmake.

Regards,
Dennis