Removing the Breeze High Contrast color scheme

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Fri Sep 17 23:39:37 BST 2021

[Please reply all as I am not subscribed to this mailing list]

Hello accessibility folks,

I'd like to propose removing the Breeze High Contrast color scheme. This
color scheme is a misnomer, and does not actually offer higher contrast
than other color schemes. In fact its contrast is generally worse than
Breeze dark, the color scheme it is most similar to As a result it hurts
more than it helps.

A true "high contrast mode" would require changes to the QStyle to make
UI elements larger or change their borders to actually offer an
improvement for people who need higher contrast than what is offered by
Breeze and Breeze Dark.

users will be migrated to the regular Breeze Dark color scheme, which is
the closest to it.

See the relevant merge request:
https://invent.kde.org/plasma/breeze/-/merge_requests/141

Nate