How to configure Qtspeech

Jeremy Whiting jpwhiting at kde.org
Sun Sep 22 01:54:40 BST 2019

Hi Gustav,

I see, no worries. In okular/qtspeech news the other day I played with
okular's speak current page/document a bit on linux here and found a couple
of issues I'm considering how to fix:

1) QtSpeech on linux loads the speech plugin randomly unless a specific
plugin is specified. Okular's use of QtSpeech doesn't specify a plugin
which is probably best, but because of this if you have both the
speech-dispatcher and the flite qtspeech plugin installed it randomly uses
one or the other to speak. Here I don't have flite installed, but do have a
working speech-dispatcher, so half of the time I wouldn't get any speech at
all (when it chose the flite plugin). I'm thinking to fix this either
okular needs a setting to let the user choose which speech plugin to use,
or QtSpeech itself needs a configuration to let the user say which plugin
they prefer.
2) There's not a way to pause/resume. For this I added a patch to okular
that is up for review here: https://phabricator.kde.org/D24102 which seems
to work nicely so far (when QtSpeech randomly chooses the right plugin
anyway) to let me pause/resume what it's reading.

As for general speak clipboard contents I think a good place to add this
feature would be in klipper itself that comes with plasma-desktop. I'll get
that in place next I think. My idea is to have a context menu item in
Klipper's system tray icon to speak clipboard contents and also an
associated action that could be bound to a keyboard shortcut so ctrl-c to
copy, then whatever you assign to speak clipboard contents to speak what
was copied, similar to how it's done with Jovie.

As for hearing multiple voices overlapping each other, I don't see how that
could be happening, but in order to try to recreate it here could you send
me your speech-dispatcher configuration files? Basically all files under
~/.config/speech-dispatcher/

thanks,
Jeremy